About

DESIGN TEMP INC.
HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING
Committed to the professional service and installation of
heating and air conditioning equipment.

Commercial &
Contacts Industrial
Home Residential
Legal
Links Accessories
Products Cooling
Site Map Heating
Terminology
RESIDENTIAL HEATING, VENTILATING and AIR CONDITIONING BASICS
 
REGULAR MAINTENANCE
Your heating and cooling system is likely the most expensive appliance in your home and normally requires little attention. Yet, since it runs automatically and unobtrusively to keep you comfortable, it is often the most neglected. You should check for obvious problems (unusual noises, leaks, loose parts and dirty filters) when switching from heating to air conditioning in the spring and back again in the fall. It never hurts to become familiar with things like the location of appropriate electrical breakers and the
humidifier water shutoff.
 
A more thorough routine examination should be made by a trusted and qualified, service technician.

Routine service will:
• maintain comfort levels
• prolong equipment life
• avoid costly breakdowns (your furnace is only going to fail when it is cold outside)
• keep energy costs down by keeping efficiency up
Remember to keep business cards with the name and number of your trusted HVAC professional near your furnace and phone for regular and emergency situations.

WHEN TO CONSIDER UPGRADING YOUR EXISTING SYSTEM
1. Your furnace or air conditioner is old and has begun to incur significant, frequent costs just to keep it running.
2. You are renovating part or all of your home.
3. You have an older, conventional furnace and would like to greatly reduce your energy costs.
4. In addition to other factors, you would like to install a furnace that sends less pollution into the environment.
5. You would like to get away from the high energy costs of oil or electricity and use the most energy-efficient, cleanest burning, and cost-effective of all the major residential energy supplies - natural gas.
 
You can dramatically reduce your energy costs if you improve the operation of your current heating system by replacing it with a new, high efficiency natural gas system. An old, conventional, or standard efficiency gas furnace typically operates at a 60% seasonal efficiency. This means that only 60% of heat generated is used to heat your home. The other 40%, or 40 cents out of every dollar, goes up the chimney. High efficiency furnaces operating with AFUE ratings of 90% to 98% will save you in excess of 30 cents of each energy dollar you spend.
bbarta@designtemp.com
 
Copyright © 1999 Design Temp Inc.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.